Monday, July 15, 2013

The Article About these Bird-y Kindergarteners in the Conservation Digest

I was so impressed with what these young students had accomplished in the classroom that I was inspired to write an article about them for the ornithology Bird Notes.  I was hoping to encourage others to introduce children to birds and birding.  I have a copy of the Bird Notes for each child and I will give it to them when I see them next.

When the word got out about this article, someone told me to see if the conservation digest would be interested in my story.  It turns out that they were, so it was published in the May/June edition. It was my first and probably only article I've ever written.  It was much longer and I had to cut a lot out, but I think you will get the idea of some of the things we've done in school.  Like I tell everyone...It really didn't take much time to teach them about birds as the kids are like sponges and just soaked this up.  They wanted to know more and more.  I do teach them to ask questions and try to learn as much as they can everyday.

Click on the magazine cover or the link below to get to the article:
http://gfp.sd.gov/outdoor-learning/conservation-digest/

Sept/Oct Issue

No comments:

Post a Comment